Saturday, September 10, 2016

Yo! Super excited - sorry I'm late - here goes!

Here is my latest PAT project, an installation for 452 (like Sam's rainstick vid). 

The description at the beginning: 


"Wooden boxes were given to three close friends, instructed to carry them for a day. The boxes became a part of their enviorment, listening and recording moments. To engage with a box’s memory, look for a key to turn."

This is a part of what I do (electronics / building things), but I also play a bunch of music (guitar/vox in a band called Rooms, electronic stuff, other stuff).


As far as collaboration goes, I'm really into each artist getting to thrive in their craft / environment. It's easy to find music that's hot glued together - i.e. violin slapped on top of a techno groove, electronics/looping slapped on a piece of new music. Regardless of whether or not this method is meaningful or effective (I think it can be!), I'm not so interested in that. 

Below is a video of a number of works - performed/made by the London Contemporary Orchestra. Though Johnny Greenwood is the famous name, I would argue that the musical relationship between him and the other performers is equal/authentic/effective. Here is an electronic musician and guitarist playing music out of his own experience with a group of chamber musicians doing the same. I love the result! I also love the aesthetic of much of this.



As far as fixed media goes, I would also point to Drones and Large Cycles as a similar equality between Nico Muhly and Valgeir SigurĂ°sson.

1 comment:

  1. I love the inherently interactive nature of your project. It incorporates the audience into the work consensually by inviting them to be agents within the piece (this is harder to do with a captive audience).

    ReplyDelete