Sunday, September 18, 2016

Better Late Than Never - Week 1: Dance-Movement-Improvisation-Composition

This video (starts ~:32) is of a work/study that I recently did last semester. It’s 100% improvised and the two main movers are myself and recent grad Kula Batangan. Through our movement process Kula and I were investigating questions of physical support, gender expectations, trust, and intentionally being in relation to one another in a changing environment. The work was fueled by Shannon Jackson’s writing on “Performance, Aesthetics, and Support,” from her book Social Works, which I was reading in another class. For me, it shows us grappling with an idea without getting to a particularly perfect or easy conclusion, which I think is probably a good representation of what gets me excited or a space I’m willing to work in.




There is not a video of this so I’m sharing a link to a pic and a description of a group that worked with live improvisational movement, visual artists, and musicians and I’ve been interested in working with other mediums in improvisational settings. This is one form that’s open score... there are other options of course for this type of work.

http://www.the7lovelies.com/single-post/2016/02/22/The-Lovelies-at-ShapeShifter-with-Kinesis

No comments:

Post a Comment