Saturday, September 17, 2016

I



What are three of your favorite words from the 'secret language' of your discipline, and why are you drawn to them?


This is interesting to reflect on since for me I dislike labels. As dancers we tend to use as many of the senses as possible to illicit interactions and reactions when dealing with many subject matters. The words and labels that come up to describe the art form of dance are. Mesmerizing, Amazing and of course "How do you remember all those steps."



What is the outsider description of your discipline that you find to be most inaccurate, reductionist or plain wrong? 

For me, I think when you say that I teach dance and I am choreographer they only think of commercial dance. They think of hey "I Saw so you think you can dance."  Or they say hey "show me a dance move". Or they assume that you want to dance at any event when there is music playing. The point being is that some people do not have an idea of what I means to train as dancer. To train as a dancers actually means that you approach your craft from a cross discipline approach. Many dancers are film makers, Musicians and painters. When dancers see they are usually seeing in depths of 3-4 layers at any given time to figure out ways to interact with the audience using all of the senses. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I think dance is related to all kinds of art, especially music.

    ReplyDelete