Saturday, September 10, 2016

Electric French Horn

https://youtu.be/I-uS57DtPxw?t=54m5s

Hey all,

I am mainly a classical horn player but I am really wanting to push away from that and to start exploring how to use the French Horn in music I enjoy more.

The video above is of Miles Davis in 1971, this is around the time of his Live Evil sessions where he really used a lot of "Electronic Trumpet", I'd love to start using this idea with the French Horn. Maybe not in the same style but I love the concept. Definitely would involve lots of looping as well as a goal. Check out this vid. Mainly around the 52 min mark.

https://youtu.be/84SjhW6GH8E?t=1m28s

Above is an example of another idea I would like to possibly do. Although Id prefer it to be on a screen through some program (maybe some form of "Mapping"?) , but I chose this video for the live aspect. It really adds an awesome effect to have someone visual displaying how the music makes them feel.

I saw performance over the summer of Chris Rosenau (Volcano Choir) and Nick Sanborn (Slyvan Esso) doing a live improvisation between Guitar and electronics. That alone was dope, but it was even more amazing because they were inside a 3-dimensional cube that was programmed with visual art flowing across the screen. Unfortunately no video is found or else it would be uploaded. But that is the concept I want!  Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of having a visual artists working simultaneously with live musicians. I lead a Soundpainting group with the Saxophone Ensemble at UofM and have always wanted to see if there was a way to get an additional layer of visual improvisation to react to the improvisation of the musicians in that group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all: Miles. Davis. .

    Second, I love the idea of visual artists in collaboration with music. I've seen artists dance and leave behind paint to show where they were, as evidence of something fleeting and that otherwise only exists in the memory of the witnesses. I also recently met an artist who has a sort of synesthesia in that he sees painting in music and dances to create his work. You can see a bit of that here: https://www.facebook.com/sydneyschiffdanceproject/videos/1016995508335961/

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the 52:00 mark you can feel the heat of the NYC city street lights in the summer night. The whole "BLUE MAGIC" of Harlem during this time period. The haunting note of the conga calling out with souls trapped and lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I'm new to the class, I'm a dancer and am also really interested in improvisation and in many forms. I have been interested in layering music, movement, fine art, technology in live performance.

    ReplyDelete