Friday, September 16, 2016

Patching one thing, to another thing.


I think the biggest thing I have learned while studying here at school has been about the creative process, and about myself as a creative being.

One word that comes to mind.

Failure.   I think to me the word means to be doing.  All the time we spending thinking, sketching, experimenting, implementing, its all just work.  Everything I have done in my time in school has been new, and every single step of the way has had failure.  I now have a relationship with the word.  I look for it, and I expect it, and I hope to learn in it.

I think I have learned a lot about various technical systems, coding languages, computer applications.  I consider all of these things tools, or instruments. A lot like a percussionist, there are many tools available, and some do many tasks.  Its the job of the creative mind, and the intuitive person to use these tools in a way that helps create whatever the artist is creating.

Patch.

this word can even mean a million things in my PAT world.  Its a verb when working in coding environments, especially Max/msp.  "to patch it" like to make a function in code. or it can be a noun, representing a file of code, or a software function for music or hardware.

Also to connect things, like with cables. or to connect things in a general sense.

Like ideas to electronics, people to place, etc.  This is true and the epitome of PAT.

I have learned how to patch things together in PAT.  Many things including, emotion, meaning, life, perspective, experience, right into things like.... music, instruments, electronics, code, recordings, samples, images, installations.

Or even finding ways to patch various tools and instruments together to create something unique.

Or to bring ideas from one realm or world of art, and find out what they look like and mean to other artists and worlds of art.

Patch is a good word. :)


and I guess another personal one.

Grind.

this means to go to work on some thing or task, to fight, to fail, to struggle, to finely cut coffee beans, to practice, to study, to code, to not sleep, to dance, to laugh, to be the fullest person you have available to yourself.

Its a good thing.

always on the grind.


I'd guess most people think I know how to record rock bands and recitals.

I think am a technology minded improvisor, constantly looking to patch meaning and life's questions into honest and vulnerable art.










2 comments:

  1. Wow, I never though of patching as such an important concept. Very cool how art making can be broken down into patching things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yepppppp. Love your view on failure. It helps me to try to over come my fear of failure. You only gain with failure and that can be hard for me to over come at times. But Ive been trying to fail at overcoming failure, in order to learn and i'm making progress.

    ReplyDelete