Friday, September 9, 2016



This is one of my favorite pieces because it is so beautifully lush and romantic. While I'm open to doing contemporary pieces, I prefer to stick to Romantic pieces because that's what I feel like I can emotionally connect to more. I also don't generally like lots of cheesy slides but I think Sol Gabetta does it so tastefully here and it fits so well with the beauty of the piece.




While this piece isn't much of a collaborative work in the sense of mixing different disciplines, I think it's still at least a piece that is unconventional in its formation because the music is literally a duo for the heart and breath-- the pianist is wearing a stethoscope to play in synch with the rhythm of his heartbeat while the violinist is playing in synch with the length of his breaths. I would love to work on a project similar to this but I would also be interested in adding motion graphics in order to incorporate a visual element of emotion.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I think it could also be cool if musicians tried playing to the breath/heartbeat of other musicians, or dancers, or follow the rhythms set/changed by technology. What would happen if you had a chamber ensemble trying to get through a romantic piece but influenced/interrupted/deconstructed by these external stimuli? So many ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. or the heartbeat of someone trying to get through a cardio workout on a treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second worked moved me most the 1st was a bit to Yanni for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo both of these pieces are awesome. I had the privilege of seeing Richard Reed Parry perform and collab over the summer at a music festival called Eaux Claires. It was insane. In my opinion he is one of the leading contemporary composers who knows how to draw in the lush melodies of Romantic era music with the patience and beauty of Minimalist and "concept"esk music of today. Anything he does with yMusic is gold by my standards. Also, I as well am a huge fan syncing music to emotions and trying to convey that to an audience. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete