Monday, October 3, 2016

Three-Dimensional Soundscapes? Three-Dimensional Soundscapes.


Since Shu has posted a video of music representative of our project, and Mac has posted a soundscape representative of our project, I hope to provide a video showcasing a different side of the project: the actual three-dimensional element with which I will be performing.

The video I posted is of Nathaniel Bartlett, an amazing percussionist that creates what he calls "real-time three-dimensional, high-definition, computer-generated sound; and real-time computer notation processing." I have a hard time telling you exactly what that means, but here is my attempt at a summary of his work.

As an audience member, you sit in a small group of chairs surrounded by eight speakers: four above you aimed downward at an angle, and four below you angled upward. As Bartlett performs, a motion tracker records his motions and activates certain recorded sounds or alters performed sounds. This allows him to interact with these sounds he has created. The sounds are then played back through the speakers, which are panned not only left-to-right, but up-and-down as well. This simulates a three-dimensional audio playback for the listener.

I attended a clinic in which he discussed this process, but everything he talked about was extremely over my head. The main point I took from this was the idea of 3D sound. At the clinic, he diffused a Stockhausen electronic work, and I remember being amazed by the way the sound seemed to come out of one speaker, circle around you, and disappear into another speaker. It was simply breathtaking.

I hope that as we begin working with and developing the electronic aspects of our piece, that we can somewhat recreate this style of ambisonic soundscape effectively; therefore allowing the listener to feel as if the audio were alive and actively engaging with both the performer and the audience. I do hope that we create something more accessible to an average concert audience than TIMESPACEPLACE though.

And at the risk of being crude, here is a meme created by another person that attended the clinic I mentioned in my post. I thought it was too funny not to post. (This was only made because the topics discussed were so over our heads.)

1 comment:

  1. This piece is totally horizon-broadened. Sometimes I can not even distinguish the sound from electronics and the sound from the real instrument, since they integrated with each other so perfectly. And I like the video behind of hand gestures imitating the movement of birds.

    ReplyDelete