Saturday, October 8, 2016

Compositional Strategy

I have always used emotion as a strong guide for composing rather than anything intellectual. I would sit at the piano and play things until I liked an idea and then the words would flow out of that and be to do with whatever I was going through at the time. Or many times an entire song would just come to me while out in nature riding my bicycle for example. So coming up with a compositional strategy is hard for me know as it has always been intuitive. And I have spent many years as an orchestral musician, not composing for some time. I am drawn to music that says something emotionally, like the songs ofTori Amos. I am interested in the research done by Adrienne Trier-Bieniek on the reason Tori Amos' fans feel a sense of healing through her songs. It would be great to use her songs as a model for my own compositions. I would love for my music to have meaning for other people on such a level. Tori Amos is an activist on feminist issues. I'm toying with the idea of using motifs from songs by activists as a framework for composition. Other such artists who inspire me are Peter Gabriel and Nina Simone. Arranging some of these songs for flute and electronics could be a good guide for the creative flow and also help create meaningful music with some sort of social impact.

2 comments:

  1. I'm reminded of a Phillip Glass interview I saw once. He said something to the effect of 'a lot of composition is learning to get your intellect out of the way of your intuition-the music is there you just have to learn how to let it out.' I believe it was somewhere in the documentary Phillip Glass in Twelve Parts.

    ReplyDelete