Saturday, October 8, 2016

"Comprovisational" Thoughts

Although we have yet to sit down together and experiment, compose, and improvise, I know that each of our creative methods will intersect in a very interesting way. We have discussed the term "comprovisation" in our group chats, which is the process of composing through improvising. I'd like to outline a small window into my improvisational practice and what "comprovisation" means to me, and I'm curious to read what my teammates share on this topic (whether on the blog or in our later discussions), because the collision of our creative processes will be at least half of the experience!

When I improvise on any instrument, I like to start very simply; in a way, I like to create the canvas for which I will paint. Whatever I come up with will influence what paint I will use to construct the musical thoughts, although sometimes the "canvas" itself becomes the focus of the improvisation because I find things worth exploring in this first creative step. I always record my improvisations, because when I do come across something I want to recreate, analyze, or explore further, it is important to have record of it for referencing purposes. I know some people prefer not to record themselves and live in the moment for each of their improvisations, and I can certainly understand that.

While we have not discussed any parameters for our first comprovisational session, I have started to spend some time with Carlos in his dance studio to get a feel for his connection to art, and this has already broadened my world in a huge way. He is inspiring to watch, and this experience has affected the way I have been improvising and experimenting lately. We are planning on checking out an art installation show in Detroit later this month, and I think a window into Kiran's world will be just as valuable as the time I have spent with Carlos.

2 comments:

  1. I think "comprovisation" is a great word and is something I see as a common thread on this blog - we all seem to start out by just trying things out and seeing what we like and then ideas flow from there into something more concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "comprovisation" is a great word and is something I see as a common thread on this blog - we all seem to start out by just trying things out and seeing what we like and then ideas flow from there into something more concrete.

    ReplyDelete