Saturday, October 29, 2016

Across Disciplines


I see myself as a performer - in fact I have much more experience as a performer than as a music technician. What I've learned from Molly in Jeff isn't so much related to the general idea of performance, but rather specific details of their disciplines within performance. Jeff constantly blows me away with the incredible range of sounds he can produce on his instrument. He is also one of the most open minded performers I've ever worked with. Jeff thinks a lot like a composer, which is why he is such an incredible improviser. 

As Jeff stated in an earlier post, we are both really impressed by the sheer physical power that Molly exerts while performing. It's one thing to see this power from the audience, but it's even more impressive when you are right next to it. However, there are actually a lot of similarities between dance and playing a musical instrument. There is a certain level of body control and awareness that we all need! This is why both in music performance and dance, the concept of "warming up" into your body or instrument is so important. It's a step that can't be skipped!

No comments:

Post a Comment