Friday, December 16, 2016

BPM 4EVA

I learned so much from this collaboration! I'm very lucky to have gotten to work with Ben and Paige.
They put a lot of work into our two tracks. My favorite session was the one in class where the three of us sat down and wrote Purplopia together. It really felt like each of us had a voice in the music that we came up with.

I learned the language of collaborating and finding ways to talk about sections in the music that we could all understand. I also learned that it takes a lot of inspiration/work/frustration/figuring things out to create a track using Ableton. Most of which Ben and Paige, as the PAT majors took on. I do feel a lot more ready, now at the end of the course, to give somewhat meaningful input on the production side of things and wish I could have been more helpful in that way. BUT now I know more about the process, and the collaboration has definitely  given me the understanding I need to continue along this path.

What was surprising about the process was that in the beginning, although I confidently put out there that I want to do flute + EDM,  I wasn't sure that I could pull off playing flute over a beat and still be able to feel ok about myself as a musician. And I absolutely can! And I feel that this is something I definitely want to pursue further. Thanks to this course I will now follow a more daring path than I might have were this idea still only just an idea.

Hurdles I overcame.... same as above I guess, the fear of being a joke as a musician by not doing serious classical music. That fear is gone now.

The insights that I am taking away are that a collaboration is an AMAZING, wonderful thing, and while sometimes it's not easy to articulate to your team mates what you're envisioning, as the process goes and you each get the chance to show each other what you can bring to the project, the mutual excitement about the end result grows. You can feel really proud as a team knowing that what you've accomplished together is way cooler than what you ever could have done alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment