Monday, November 7, 2016

Performance Reflection

Even though we just gave a presentation on Tuesday, I thought it was so helpful to finally present a concrete idea and have feedback from our peers. I really liked Sydney's idea of using my cello to create the synthesized natural sounds, instead of using a computer to do so. That idea had never hit me until she mentioned it and she was totally right-- I do have a treasure trove of sounds that I could create. I can mimic chirping birds, seagulls, squeaking mice, firetrucks, and the sound of me chomping away at my cello (though neither of the last two would probably fit in with the "nature" sound).

The presentation was also a wake up call because it made me realize how much time we lost experimenting and how little of this project we actually have. I was also a little embarrassed for my group/disappointed in myself when Professor Gurevich asked if I felt like I had a voice in this project because I honestly thought I did since we did come up with this project together as a group but it clearly didn't seem so from an outsider's perspective. It really made me rethink my role in my group and rethink what I have/want to invest into this project. But I think following Sydney's advice of incorporating my cello into the mix is a great start to making my voice more present.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your frank assessment Cecilia. I'm confident that you guys will pull out something beautiful. It can be hard to break into this kind of musical thinking; it seems to me you have found a valuable lever thinking about extended technique and extra-musical tones from your cello.

    ReplyDelete