Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Description Across Discipline


As a tech major, I’ve noticed that the daily work of a performance major is very accommodating. Often times Ben and I will throw Merryl a new track idea, and within a matter of seconds Merryl will have the key and general vibe of the song down, soloing to her heart’s content. Ben and I struggle to do this in reverse, when Merryl has a track for us, because we have to build patches, place notes in a piano roll, and make loops instead of just being able to play right then and there. I can imagine that this might be frustrating for Merryl when she is ready to go but has to sit around and watch us on our computers. I always knew that set-up is a long process for tech people, but now that our time is being compared to a performer which is not nearly as long, I see even more clearly now how long we really take! Ben and I have started attending outside rehearsals about 30 minutes to an hour before Merryl comes so that we are all ready at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment