Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Here's an audio recording of a composition I made for erhu, a traditional Chinese instrument that could be compared to a violin (synthesized in Garageband--I only wish I could play one well enough to make decent music) accompanied by an acoustic hammered dulcimer playing and various electronic sounds and effects.  I chose this because it demonstrates some of my classical and folk influences as well as my interests in combining acoustic and electronic sounds and techniques (and how far I have to go as a composer and as a student of electronic music).

In the spirit of combining acoustic and electronic textures, one direction I'd like to go in would be to augment acoustic instrument performance (something I feel more comfortable with to date) with live electronics, as in this composition by Kaija Saariaho:


As I indicated above, I like acoustic music and think that it and electronic music have a lot to offer each other.  But in comparison to what I know how to do now, I would like to use electronics to enhance the performance, not just in playback.  I like the aesthetics of this piece (not that the recording is of the best quality) and some of her other work in a similar vein but for other instruments like the cello.  

No comments:

Post a Comment